You can import contacts into yve and assign them to events using identifiers
Contacts in yve
Participants always have to be contacts first. You can assign participants for events from the existing contacts. In contacts, there can also be suppliers, locations, employees, etc. Under 'Contacts' you will see all available contacts. You can create a new contact or copy an existing contact with 'Contacts -> New'.
The 'Search' field searches for the terms you enter via all contact fields. You can combine several search terms by entering them separated by spaces. Required fields such as categories or gender must be entered with English terms (customer, participant, ...). Thus, e.g. 'customer meier' all customers who are called Meier.
You can copy an existing contact. All fields are copied, the surname gets the suffix "COPY". Please check the name, email and login name. The password for the contact will be automatically regenerated.
If you want to invite a lot of participants for an event, you can first create them using a Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) file as a contact under 'contacts -> import' and then assign them to your event. Only administrators can import contacts. Yve knows up to 40 attributes with which you can describe a contact. You can see the complete list under 'Contacts -> Import'. Only the surname is a mandatory field, all other attributes are optional and can be omitted.
For yve to map the columns from your .xlsx file to the correct attribute, you must name the columns as they are in yve. In the overview of the attributes, you see the yve labels that are present. Some of the attributes have fixed values, e.g. 'Gender' -> 'Male. Female, Unknown '. For these attributes, the values in your cells must exactly match one of the given values so that yve can assign the values. Select your file with 'File -> Browse' from your PC. Please ensure that your .xlsx file contains only one workbook containing your contact data.
Columns that could not be identified are ignored during import. If you want to change contacts, only the attributes for which a column has been found in your xlsx file are overwritten - all non-found attributes are not changed.
Identification of contacts
Yve identifies a contact by one of the following characteristics:
yve_id: this is an identification number that is automatically assigned by yve and is unique in the system. You can read these yve_ids for existing contacts by selecting 'Contacts -> xls'. I.d.R. You do not need the yve_id.
customer_number: they can give an identification number to a contact itself. Yve make sure this number is assigned only once in your account. For example, To retrieve your contact data from a CRM system, you can load the ID from the CRM system into this attribute.
familyname + firstname + email: In order to avoid duplicates, make sure that the combination of surname, first name and email is only assigned once in your account. Therefore yve recognizes contacts when they specify these values.
Behavior when importing
You can select what yve should do when importing:
Insert new contacts: yve only imports new contacts. If yve already have a contact on your list, this entry is ignored
Insert new contacts and update existing ones: yve imports new contacts. If yve already have a contact on your list, it will be used to update all attributes of this contact with the values from your list.
Insert new contacts and update existing ones and delete missing ones: yve imports new contacts. If yve already have a contact on your list, it will be used to update all attributes of this contact with the values from your list. In addition, yve checks for each of the existing yve contacts whether it is in your list. If the contact is not in the list, yve sets a flag to delete this contact. You are then prompted to confirm the deletion. Caution: if you upload an empty list with this option, all your contacts will be marked for deletion.
What does yve check on contacts?
When you upload your list, yve performs a series of checks in the background yve before the list is created in Contacts. If a condition is not met, the entire list will not be uploaded and you will receive a list of errors by email:
- Your list can not contain duplicates
- A valid email address must be provided
- Each line must contain a value for familyname (surname)
- If you are using gender, the values must be 'Male', 'Female', or 'Unknown'
- Each row in your list with a value is checked - remove all rows that do not contain contacts (or the column name at the top)
Only if the whole list is error-free, the contacts are imported and you receive the success message by email.
Create participant lists with labels
As an administrator, you can create as many labels as you like, using 'Contacts -> labels -> new'. This may be e.g. a customer group or an identification for all participants of an event. Each contact can be assigned to any number of identifiers. You can assign this assignment manually via 'Contact details -> assign label' or via the import.
In the import, simply add a column with the heading 'Label' and add the identifiers that the contact should have in the respective line. You can specify multiple identifiers separated by commas. Only identifiers existing in yve can be assigned.
Assign participants to an event
Now you can assign your contacts to an event: 'Event details -> Participants -> Assign participant', the following options are available:
- All contacts: assigns all contacts to the event. If you only perform one event and all your contacts are only attendees, this is the easiest way
- By label: select one of the existing labels and yve assigns all contacts that have this label to the event
- Individual: select a single person from your contacts. This is usually the most practical way for latecomers.
- List: You can upload a list in yve that contains all yve contacts to be associated with this event. You will hardly need this option since the same functionality with identifiers is possible and easier to manage.
Yve checks whether a contact is already a participant and thus prevents doubles. A contact can thus occur in several labels without generating doubles. The contacts are assigned in the background, you receive an email on completion.
Delete participants or contacts
You can delete a participant by clicking on the 'x' at the end of the line with the name of the participant in 'Event Details -> Participants'. Caution: this does not delete the contact, only the contact is no longer assigned to this event. If you want to delete a contact completely, you can do this via 'Contacts -> Subscriber name -> Contact details -> Delete'.
Tips for the perfect import
- The Email field can contain only one email address, remove multiple email addresses for contacts
- If you want to change familyname, firstname or email of an existing contact, you must specify the yve_id or customer_number, otherwise yve will create a new contact with the new data
- Remove leading or trailing spaces, all characters of a cell are evaluated as input (ie also behind emails or predefined values)
- Your .xlsx file should contain only one workbook with your list. Remove all data that should not be considered as input
- For participants you need i.d.R. Only familyname, firstname, email, and gender - all other fields are optional
- Use the CRM fields (source, salescontact, ...) to assign participants to specific sales activities
- Use the freely definable fields (reg_info1, ...) for further information